Saturday 11 August 2012

Salt Dough Bead Bracelet.

I started by making some salt dough beads. I don’t have a picture of the beads before I painted them but here’s the recipe I used:
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1-1/2 cups cold water
Note: I cut the recipe in half and had more than enough dough to make a lot of beads.
Thoroughly mix the flour and salt together. Add the water and mix well. Knead the mixture for ten to fifteen minutes. Shape your beads and make a hole with a wooden skewer. Bake at 250 degrees for 2-3 hours or until they are completely dry and hardened.
Tip: The holes on most of my beads closed up during the baking process. I may try baking them on a piece of wire or the skewer next time I make these.Once the beads were cooled, I started painting them with the Martha Stewart paints. I used two coats of High Gloss Wedding Cake for the white and while the white paint was still wet added Metallic Sterling for the accent. I didn’t have any varnish on hand to seal them so I used clear nail polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment